A Love Letter For Tall Girls Everywhere
I was once at a party when a guy at the party said, “wow, why are you so tall?”
Yes, this was some sad attempt at a pickup line.
But it’s not the first time something like that has happened.
In elementary school, kids called me “The Jolly Green Giant” more times than I could count. (Originality is never the strong suit of bullies.) I was always the center of the class photos. It took me a long time to realize I should buy pants that were, you know, a tall cut.
My height was always something people commented on — so much so that it made me want to shrink myself — my thought process went a little something like this — if they stopped noticing my height, perhaps I wouldn’t be the center of attention anymore, and people wouldn’t be so mean.
So I “shrank” myself, as in, I hunched over and developed terrible posture — which drove my ballet teacher crazy — and therefore, she would constantly remind me to stand up straight, over and over again.
I once dated a guy who told me never to wear heels.
That was fun.
My now husband adores me and my height, but I digress. The point, is that I wish I had seen more tall women celebrated when I was younger.
So here’s are seven love notes for my fellow tall girls to get you through those awkward phases and social situations:
- When someone asks you, “wow, why are you so tall,” a great retort is, “wow, why are you so short?”
- The Jolly Green Giant is like, king of the vegetables and will probably live forever, making him a superhero, so keep that in mind.
- Being in the center in photos is a prime location. Always.
- Embrace the tall cut in jeans — they’re wonderful.
- When people stare at you, it’s because you’re striking. It’s because your height commands attention, and that beautiful girl is a superpower.
- Do not attempt to shrink yourself — ever.
- Remember that Naomi Campbell, Mandy Moore, Blake Lively, Queen Latifah, Michelle Obama, Padma Lakshmi, Taylor Swift, and Nicole Kidman are all 5’10” and over — eight amazing women right there, who are doing extraordinary things in the world. There are plenty more, too. And you are part of that list. Yes, you.
- Wear heels if you want. Who cares if they make you taller? You are a beautiful, gorgeous, queen of a woman — and your tallness is something to be celebrated.
Previously published on Thought Catalog, here.